Saturday, December 30, 2006

Greetings from Kaitaia


Firstly, a belated merry christmas to all! Mine was great - massive lunch, double layer pavlova and my mum's specialty cheesecake, family, presents, and fun times.


On the 27th I flew up to new plymouth and hung out with Joe. We played tennis and went swimming at the beach. Although for Joe it was more like a quick 10 second dip and he was outta there!! After dinner, we went to the festival of lights at the park where we listened to a band and even took a canoe out on the lake. Very fun. But don't ask me to row, I was most confused even how to hold the oar!

On the 28th Joe and I met Dan and Jared Lyn in Cambridge. From there it was a good couple hrs drive to Whangarei, our overnight stop, mainly cos we were all starving! And on our final leg up, we stopped at Taupo Bay for a swim. Refreshing but so difficult to get warm again. Our fish n chips 'snack' did the trick though. And of course another trip to the beach. Played touch rugby which was awesome since I missed it so much in wellie. There was a game of poker which lasted till 3am.......for Dan and Joe battling it out.

The 29th was beautiful and sunny. So off to the beach yet again. This time I tried out some surfing for the first time ever. I think I've found a new interest! New Years was excellent. Full credit to Mike's parents.

Our day trip to Cape Reinga was the highlight of the trip. After taking some photos and mulling around the lighthouse, we headed to the massive sand dunes and rode down on body boards. We even got some tandem races going. Brooke and Joe, Dave and Jess. The girls looked like they were riding horses down the hill, as they only held on to a tshirt! Next was a stop at the beach. And another chance to test my surfing skills!! Well this time I actually had a mini lesson. And although the waves were terrible, I was very close to standing up on my first attempt! Finally, we all rushed to the bach in Taipa and were stunned to find tables laden with salads, meat (including the crayfish the boys caught) and drink. Lest I forget dessert.

I left Kaitaia on the 3rd, we stayed at Dan's house. Played a lengthly game of 6handed 500. My team won. Joe and I managed to fit in a quick swim at the mount in Tauranga (absolutely stunning beach aaaaah) before I caught my flight home. How tempted was I to miss my plane home! I mean who would want to go back to work after a week with awesome people, food and beaches??

2 Comments:

At 12:44 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

That was such an awesome trip Jacq! Sounds like you had a ball just like the rest of us. I've got to go sandduning again sometime. I wish I was still up north too but oh well bring on Parachute! Hope you can come :)

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Mich said...

Jacq,
hey!! it's 1.30am here (UK time) and I decided to read your blog for first time in ages and I was just so encouraged reading it. It made me realise afresh how truly awesome you are!! keep enjoying summer and feel free to email anytime :-)
love michelle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home